Subject: bug#62260: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Restrict auto-save file mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 22:21:03 +0200

> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 22:00:32 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> 
> > With this patch, the /tmp directory now contains an auto-save file with
> > mode 0600.
> 
> When a buffer visits a file, its auto-save file should have the same
> mode bits as the file itself (modulo your umask).  I see no need to
> affect that part in any case.  If the file itself is not private, why
> should its auto-save file be private?  Also, there's
> auto-save-visited-mode.

More generally: what problems are you trying to solve here?  If this
code causes some problems, please describe them, and let's see whether
and how we should fix them.

This code is in its present shape for the last 25 years at least, and
in all that time I don't think we ever had any complaints about the
mode bits of the auto-save files.  So if there's no real-life problem
here, I see no reason to change code that is stable for so long.