Subject: Re: bug#62238: 30.0.50; Unusual interpretation of "S-expressions" in c-ts-mode

From: Theodor Thornhill <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 18:25:10 +0100

On 17 March 2023 10:52:39 CET, Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>X-Debbugs-CC: Theodor Thornhill <[email-masked]>, Yuan Fu <[email-masked]>
>
>Take this code block, where | is the position of the point.
>
>if (foo)|{
>  bar;
>  baz;
>}
>
>When I press C-M-SPC to mark a "S-expression" (knowing that C doesn't
>consist of S-Expressions), then I would assume that the region from the
>current point until the closing bracket would be selected.  Instead I
>get the region from the point up until after the first semicolon.
>
>When I press C-M-SPC again, I get the second one as well, but a third
>press refuses to go on.  So I never get the entire block.
>
>I do not know if this is intentional, but it also applies to movement
>and killing.  This is also particularly unintuitive when matching pairs
>are highlighted (in this case the brackets), which always (?) matches
>the interpretation of sexp-commands.
>

Hi and thanks for taking a look.

Yeah, this isn't really finished yet.

It's on my backlog, but I didn't have enough time to focus on Emacs last couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll get more time soon :)

Theo

>
>In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
> 3.24.36, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-03-15 built on quetzal
>Repository revision: a798a29f7519244b47ffc3035fcd8bf7bafea4d5
>Repository branch: master
>System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid
>
>Configured using:
> 'configure --with-pgtk --with-imagemagick --with-native-compilation
> --with-tree-sitter --with-json CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-O2 -march=native -pipe'
> LDFLAGS=-flto'
>
>Configured features:
>ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
>IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES
>NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
>THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB
>
>Important settings:
>  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: 
>  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
>  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
>  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
>  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
>  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
>  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
>
>Major mode: C/*
>
>Minor modes in effect:
>  global-git-commit-mode: t
>  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
>  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
>  jit-spell-mode: t
>  flymake-mode: t
>  yas-minor-mode: t
>  editorconfig-mode: t
>  repeat-mode: t
>  display-battery-mode: t
>  display-time-mode: t
>  diff-hl-flydiff-mode: t
>  diff-hl-mode: t
>  winner-mode: t
>  windmove-mode: t
>  corfu-history-mode: t
>  corfu-mode: t
>  electric-pair-mode: t
>  recentf-mode: t
>  save-place-mode: t
>  savehist-mode: t
>  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
>  pixel-scroll-mode: t
>  xterm-mouse-mode: t
>  which-function-mode: t
>  tooltip-mode: t
>  global-eldoc-mode: t
>  eldoc-mode: t
>  show-paren-mode: t
>  electric-indent-mode: t
>  mouse-wheel-mode: t
>  tab-bar-mode: t
>  file-name-shadow-mode: t
>  context-menu-mode: t
>  global-font-lock-mode: t
>  font-lock-mode: t
>  line-number-mode: t
>  indent-tabs-mode: t
>  transient-mark-mode: t
>  auto-composition-mode: t
>  auto-encryption-mode: t
>  auto-compression-mode: t
>
>Load-path shadows:
>/home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/transient-0.3.7/transient hides /home/philip/Source/emacs/lisp/transient
>
>Features:
>(shadow ecomplete emacsbug two-column c-ts-mode dictionary
>dictionary-connection java-ts-mode ffap rst mule-util face-remap
>magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog
>magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote
>magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag
>magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status
>magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode
>git-commit log-edit add-log magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert
>filenotify magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor server
>magit-mode magit-git magit-section magit-utils crm dash grep
>bug-reference find-func sort smiley gnus-cite mail-extr textsec
>uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check
>gnus-bcklg gnus-async gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnfolder
>epa-file network-stream gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
>nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls
>dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus
>gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int
>gnus-range message rfc822 mml mml-sec epa mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
>mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win url-http url-auth mail-parse
>rfc2231 url-gw nsm epg rfc6068 epg-config display-line-numbers quail
>copyright geiser-mode geiser-xref geiser-compile geiser-guile transient
>edmacro kmacro geiser-debug geiser-mit info-look geiser geiser-repl
>geiser-image geiser-capf geiser-doc geiser-menu geiser-autodoc
>geiser-edit etags fileloop generator xref geiser-completion geiser-eval
>geiser-connection tq geiser-syntax geiser-log geiser-popup view
>geiser-impl help-fns radix-tree geiser-custom geiser-base scheme vc-hg
>vc-bzr vc-backup flymake-proselint writegood-mode yank-media mhtml-mode
>css-mode smie eww xdg url-queue shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg puny
>mm-url color js c-ts-common treesit cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
>cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-langs cc-vars cc-bytecomp
>cc-defs sgml-mode facemenu dom dired-aux gnus-dired dired-x dired
>desktop frameset dired-loaddefs char-fold misearch multi-isearch vc-git
>buffer-env tramp-cmds tramp-sh tramp tramp-cache time-stamp
>tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell
>pcomplete parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp jit-spell ispell checkdoc
>flymake-proc flymake yasnippet-snippets yasnippet noutline outline
>editorconfig editorconfig-core editorconfig-core-handle
>editorconfig-fnmatch init repeat project format-spec battery dbus xml
>shell-command+ thingatpt time sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gnus
>nnheader gnus-util time-date mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr
>diff-hl-flydiff diff diff-hl log-view pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc diff-mode
>easy-mmode hippie-exp winner windmove corfu-history corfu compat
>elec-pair recentf tree-widget saveplace savehist pixel-scroll cua-base
>xt-mouse cus-edit pp wid-edit which-func imenu package-vc vc
>vc-dispatcher lisp-mnt cus-load setup finder-inf
>shell-command+-autoloads corfu-autoloads haskell-mode-autoloads
>macrostep-autoloads flymake-proselint-autoloads focus-autoloads
>buffer-env-autoloads avy-autoloads yasnippet-snippets-autoloads
>magit-autoloads jit-spell-autoloads geiser-mit-autoloads
>bash-completion-autoloads vc-backup-autoloads setup-autoloads
>auctex-autoloads tex-site proof-general-autoloads proof-site
>proof-autoloads git-commit-autoloads with-editor-autoloads
>compat-autoloads inspector-autoloads geiser-guile-autoloads
>geiser-autoloads transient-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
>0x0-autoloads sp-tutor-autoloads diff-hl-autoloads debbugs-autoloads
>package-lint-autoloads xkcd-autoloads editorconfig-autoloads
>rcirc-color-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
>writegood-mode-autoloads sly-autoloads go-mode-autoloads info
>dash-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
>url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf
>url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core
>password-cache json map byte-opt comp comp-cstr warnings bytecomp
>byte-compile rx derived pcase cl-seq cl-macs gv subr-x compile
>text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring url-vars cl-extra
>help-mode icons cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc
>paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
>mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd
>fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
>text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
>isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
>font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
>indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
>tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
>romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
>composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
>jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
>theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
>overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
>hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
>dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
>lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)
>
>Memory information:
>((conses 16 1085291 119447)
> (symbols 48 41414 1)
> (strings 32 191733 12247)
> (string-bytes 1 5822782)
> (vectors 16 109526)
> (vector-slots 8 2681949 80394)
> (floats 8 565 1531)
> (intervals 56 20198 1681)
> (buffers 984 46))
>
>