Subject: Re: bug#62237: 28.1 or higher: 24-bit true color breaks colours in Emacsen built without X under GNU Screen

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 11:02:16 +0100

>>>>> On Sat, 18 Mar 2023 11:09:10 +0200, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> said:

    >> From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
    >> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
    >> Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 10:05:49 +0100
    >> 
    >> >>>>> On Fri, 17 Mar 2023 20:55:23 +0200, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> said:
    >> >> machines you are able to do a rlogin and still keep the  correct  term‐
    --> cap/terminfo  entry.  The terminal name is put in the $TERM variable of
    >> >> all new windows.  Screen also sets the $TERMCAP variable reflecting the
    >> >> capabilities of the virtual terminal emulated. Notice that, however, on
    >> >> machines using the terminfo database this variable has no effect.  Fur‐
    >> >> thermore, the variable $WINDOW is set to the window number of each win‐
    >> >> dow.
    >> 
    Eli> This seems to tell how 'screen' figures out the terminal name, not how
    Eli> it sets TERM.  I asked who and why sets TERM to screen.SOMETHING.
    >> 
    >> screen does: "The terminal name is put in the $TERM variable of all new windows."

    Eli> So how did Emacs ever succeed to work inside screen, then?  AFAIK, we
    Eli> never supported this form of TERM's value.  Is this something
    Eli> relatively new?

I donʼt know, Iʼm a tmuxian ;-)

Note that emacs works fine, itʼs just the colours that are off, and
people sshʼing in to use screen would tend to set TERM themselves
anyway.

Robert
--