Subject: bug#62237: 28.1 or higher: 24-bit true color breaks colours in Emacsen built without X under GNU Screen

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 11:09:10 +0200

> From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 10:05:49 +0100
> 
> >>>>> On Fri, 17 Mar 2023 20:55:23 +0200, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> said:
>     >> machines you are able to do a rlogin and still keep the  correct  term‐
>     --> cap/terminfo  entry.  The terminal name is put in the $TERM variable of
>     >> all new windows.  Screen also sets the $TERMCAP variable reflecting the
>     >> capabilities of the virtual terminal emulated. Notice that, however, on
>     >> machines using the terminfo database this variable has no effect.  Fur‐
>     >> thermore, the variable $WINDOW is set to the window number of each win‐
>     >> dow.
> 
>     Eli> This seems to tell how 'screen' figures out the terminal name, not how
>     Eli> it sets TERM.  I asked who and why sets TERM to screen.SOMETHING.
> 
> screen does: "The terminal name is put in the $TERM variable of all new windows."

So how did Emacs ever succeed to work inside screen, then?  AFAIK, we
never supported this form of TERM's value.  Is this something
relatively new?