Subject: Re: bug#62233: Using Emacs Lisp

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 08:13:32 +0000

Andrew Goh <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi FSF,
> I was wondering if the FSF can turn Emacs Lisp into a tool that is as
> easy to use as two of these mainstream Lisp environments - Allegro
> Common Lisp and LispWorks.  And to do away with difficult to remember
> commands such as C-x C-m for example, if there is such a thing.
> Otherwise, its a free and useful tool for learning Lisp and using it for AI. 
> That's all I have to say.
> --- Andrew Goh

You can already write Emacs Lisp code using Nano or vi and run the code
using "emacs --script".  The discussion to abandon the Emacs UI comes up
from time to time and is usually fruitless.  There are a lot of people
who are used to and like keychords and a lot of packages rely on them,
so it would not be worth betraying them.  There are people who write
scripts that make Emacs emulate different kinds of editors.  I believe
that would be the best way forwards for what you are looking to do.

Also, I believe you wanted to address GNU, specifically the Emacs maintainers.

-- 
Philip Kaludercic