Subject: Re: bug#62207: 29.0.60; Trying to remove non-existent key binding instead adds a binding

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 10:43:26 +0100

>>>>> On Fri, 17 Mar 2023 16:51:56 -0400, Stefan Monnier via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]> said:

    >> If this part is still controversial, I'm okay with only fixing the bug
    >> itself.  As for REMOVE, let's see what Stefan has to say in defense of
    >> his request, and take it from there.

    Stefan> I can't remember off-hand all the subtleties that can show up in corner
    Stefan> cases, but I'll simply note that the current removal code is already the
    Stefan> result of my pointing out several not-so-corner cases that the original
    Stefan> coder missed (even though he was not a beginner at the keymap game), and
    Stefan> this very bug report illustrates that the code is still buggy.

    Stefan> [ Which reminds me that we need a regression test for this.  ]

Done. Let me know if there are corner cases I missed.

    Stefan> I think the removal code is "good enough" for uses in a user's init
    Stefan> code, but I'd rather add some recommendation to avoid on it in
    Stefan> ELisp packages.

We can put that in the elisp manual, no?

Robert
--