Subject: Re: bug#62198: [PATCH] Eglot: Send clientInfo during the initialize request

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 18:40:06 +0000

Felician Nemeth <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I don't think any more granularity within 2 would be very useful,
>> especially to the server devs.  
>
> I don't know how to answer these questions.

I'm not asking you :-) These are questions I ask myself when facing bug
reports.  And usually I don't have a good way of answering except for
drilling the bug reporter.

I agree this most of this information shouldn't probably be sent over to
the server.

>> Although it _could_ be useful to somehow debug -- not via LSP messages
>> to server, but in the events log as an internal message -- the
>> versions of the packages that Eglot depends on.  But that's a broader
>> idea, I think, and one more suitable for a future M-x
>> report-bug-in-elpa-package.
>
> I think it is possible write the versions of Eglot and its dependencies
> into eglot-events-buffer with the help of list-mnt, but I don't think
> Eglot should send this in clientInfo.

Yes, of course.  It's debugging information.  Currently the manual
advises users to list the files in 'package-user-dir', which is a really
poor way of telling the versions of ELPA packages, but it's the best
I've come up with.  What I meant is I'd like to have a way to produce a
listing of packages (required and optional, like
markdown/company/yasnippet) for inclusion in bug reports.

>> If this is not easy to do without complex libraries, i'd prefer just to
>> send the client name via LSP.
>
> I've attached a simple patch that sends just the client name if you
> decide to go this way.

Thanks, I've pushed it to master.

João