Subject: bug#62181: [PATCH v2 1/2] gnu: gnulib: Reset the shebangs.

From: Vivien Kraus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 10:06:16 +0100

Hi!

Le vendredi 17 mars 2023 à 22:48 +0100, Ludovic Courtès a écrit :
> > * gnu/packages/tls.scm (guile-gnutls) [phase patch-more-shebangs]:
> > Fix how
> > autogen.sh invokes gnulib-tool, and how configure.ac invokes git-
> > version-gen,
> > so as not to rely on shebangs.
> 
> [...]
> 
> > +              (substitute* "autogen.sh"
> > +                (("\\$gnulib_tool \\$gnulib_tool_options")
> > +                 "sh $gnulib_tool $gnulib_tool_options"))
> 
> … this is still needed: GNULIB/bin/gnulib-tool, which has a correct
> shebang, is *not* used, and instead GNULIB/src/gnulib/gnulib-tool is
> used.
> 
> Should we remove GNULIB/bin/gnulib-tool?  Or should we remove the
> other
> one?

If we could have different outputs, one for bin/gnulib-tool and one for
the gnulib source, then it would be better: the default output would
retain no references, and the :bin output would only need a bash-
minimal to run gnulib-tool. So packages that call gnulib-tool directly
would add both outputs as native-inputs, and packages that use
bootstrap.conf would only need the default output.

Would that help solve the problem introduced by the bash-minimal
reference?

Anyway, I’m not sure the copy-build-system allows for different
outputs.

What do you think?

Vivien