Subject: A problem with Gnu or Linux or Google Drive

From: Robert Boyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 23:58:14 -0500

Mon 13 Mar 2023 11:00:14 PM CDT

Here is a bug report by [email-masked]

Help please.  I seem to have hit a problem running Emacs under Linux on my
$100 Lenovo
Chromebook while connected to Google Drive.

While running the standard Linux tar command in a shell buffer in
Emacs I got this error:

(file-error "Getting attributes" "Transport endpoint is not connected"
"/mnt/chromeos/GoogleDrive/MyDrive/Linux/")

Immediately after that error I tried the Emacs command dired on the
troublesome directory and got the following very similar error.

Apparently Emacs is working very well for the most part, but having
trouble with what looks like a broken connection to Google Drive.

Google Drive seems still accessible, at least now, from my Chromebook,
e.g., via the Chromebook command called Files.

I suspect there was a break in my connection that might possibly
be handled by Emacs by trying to make another connection to Google Drive
as a part of the error handling.  Maybe some waiting and retrying might
be involved.

(file-error "Reading directory" "Transport endpoint is not connected"
"/mnt/chromeos/GoogleDrive/MyDrive/Linux/working")
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Reading directory" "Transport
endpoint is not connected"
"/mnt/chromeos/GoogleDrive/MyDrive/Linux/working")
  access-file("/mnt/chromeos/GoogleDrive/MyDrive/Linux/working" "Reading
directory")
  insert-directory("/mnt/chromeos/GoogleDrive/MyDrive/Linux/working"
"--dired -al" t nil)
  dired-insert-directory("/mnt/chromeos/GoogleDrive/MyDrive/Linux/working"
"-al" nil t t)
  dired-readin-insert()
  dired-readin()
  dired-internal-noselect("/mnt/chromeos/GoogleDrive/MyDrive/Linux/working"
nil)
  dired-noselect("/mnt/chromeos/GoogleDrive/MyDrive/Linux/working" nil)
  dired("/mnt/chromeos/GoogleDrive/MyDrive/Linux/working")
  gw()
  funcall-interactively(gw)
  call-interactively(gw record nil)
  command-execute(gw record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "gw" "gw")
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "gw" "gw")
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

I installed my Emacs with the following command to the Linux Terminal
program supporting the shell
that was available after I used the very simple Linux installation
instructions in the Settings command
on my Lenovo Chromebook.

   sudo apt-get install emacs

Thanks so much for any help you can give.  I suspect I have been getting
bitten by mysterious
errors that are reminiscent of what I am now reporting.

I am utterly clueless about what to do because it happens seemingly
randomly.  I doubt it is
not a problem with tar or dired but rather something much deeper.

Fortunately this time I got the above bug reports on errors from Emacs.

I have been using Emacs constantly since about 1971 and just love it.  I
have met Richard
Stallman several times and invited him to speak to the Computer Sciences
Department
at the University of Texas at Austin, hence my cc to rms.

Robert Stephen Boyer
[email-masked]