Subject: Re: bug#62170: 29.0.60; the default tool bar icons are ugly to modern users and are not customizable

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 10:01:45 +0800

Jim Porter <[email-masked]> writes:

> Agreed. I think a good general guideline is this: for icons which are
> always in the same spot (e.g. the navigation buttons in your web
> browser), color probably isn't that valuable, and possibly a
> distraction. As a user, you'll quickly internalize where, say, the
> back button is anyway.

FWIW, I typically use the keyboard to navigate in a web browser, because
Mozilla keeps changing the location of their navigation buttons.  For
example, the Home button used to be to the right of the Search box, but
now it is to the right of the Reload button.

> Still, I think I agree with the overall request: the current icons
> could use some improvement, partly just to make sure they all feel
> like they belong together.

[...]

> (This is worse on GTK builds, where some icons come from GTK and have
> one visual style, but others come from Emacs and look totally
> different.)

This is mainly the fault of the GNOME developers: they keep changing
their default icon theme, so now Emacs's icons (mostly imported from
GNOME) are no longer consistent with the rest of the system.

Perhaps we could re-import icons from the GNOME icon theme?  The
non-symbolic ones, of course.