Subject: bug#62160: Guix reference manual link from guix.gnu.org?

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 13:11:41 +0100

Hi

I often go to guix.gnu.org to read the (excellent!) Guix manual.  This
leads to this click pattern: guix.gnu.org -> Help -> GNU Guix Manual
1.4.0 which leads me to a page (written in english) to chose language
of the manual -- https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/ -- and when I chose
English I get a page to chose format of manual --
https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/en/ -- and that choice takes a split
second cognitive load.

How about these changes to improve user experience?

1) The link guix.gnu.org -> Help -> GNU Guix Manual 1.4.0 goes directly
to the split-node https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/en/html_node/

  1b) The link could respect the language-choice for the web-site,
i.e., so if I'm browsing https://guix.gnu.org/de/ it should directly
link me to https://guix.gnu.org/de/manual/de/html_node/ instead.

2) Add links to the PDF variant and full-HTML variants in the top-right
menu where different languages are shown.

What do you think?  Then you quickly get into the manual, and there is
still a simple way to chose other languages, and to get PDF/full-HTML
variants.  I don't see any significant disadvantage with this change.

/Simon