Subject: [bug#62153] Merging guix pack changes for Docker containers packaging

From: Oleg Pykhalov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 06:16:49 +0300

Hi Guix,

I would like to merge 62153.  After 64173 will be merge, merging 62153
is not possible without conflict resolving with Git.

64173 introduces ‘%docker-format-options’ variable.  With this variable
it's possible in 62153 to replace ‘--image-type=docker-layered’ with
‘--docker-layers=N’ option, where:

    if ‘N’ is zero, then use current non layered format
    if ‘N’ is bigger than zero, then use layered format

Number of layers specification is nice to have, because Docker layers
are limited.  So if user would like to modify a Docker image by adding
more layers on top, then hacks like squashing layers are not required.
Also, it will be possible to delete code which builds non layered Docker
image without deprecating command line options.

Is it possible to partially merge 64173, specifically
‘%docker-format-options’ variable and it requirements, so it can be used
in 62153 for ‘--docker-layers=N’ option?

[1]: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/62153
[2]: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/64173

Regards,
Oleg.