Subject: [bug#62153] [PATCH 3/5] guix: docker: Build layered images.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 15:55:39 +0100

Hi Oleg!

Oleg Pykhalov <[email-masked]> skribis:

> +;; The maximum number of layers allowed in a Docker image is typically around
> +;; 128, although it may vary depending on the Docker daemon. However, we
> +;; recommend setting the limit to 100 to ensure sufficient room for future
> +;; extensions.
> +(define %docker-image-max-layers
> +  #f)

It just occurred to me that the meaning of #f is unclear here; also, the
manual does not specify the default value of ‘--max-layers’.

Should we:

  1. Set ‘%docker-image-max-layers’ to an integer, maybe 100, in
     accordance with the comment above?

  2. Clarify in the manual what the default is, and explain that users
     can pass ‘--max-layers=1’ if they want, well, a single layer.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.