Subject: Re: bug#6215: default process priority

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 11:14:00 -0600

retitle 6215 default process priority
thanks

[please use a reasonable subject line when posting]

On 05/18/2010 10:11 AM, Jarosław Piątek wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,

> What is a default priority for every process ?

By default, each process inherits the niceness from its parent.
Coreutils' nice(1) can be used to alter niceness of a new process, and
also determine the current niceness of your current shell.  Niceness
often correlates to priorities, but POSIX allows implementations to have
priorities independent from niceness, in which case it is up to your
operating system how priorities work (although again, the default is
likely to be that each process inherits the priority from its parent).

-- 
Eric Blake   [email-masked]    +1-801-349-2682
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org