Subject: Re: bug#62140: enable LVM in Grub

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 08:48:46 -0400

Hi,

Emmanuel Beffara <[email-masked]> writes:

> De Michael Rohleder le 13/03/2023 à 14:56:
>> Hello Emmanuel!
>> 
>> Thx for the report!
>> 
>> I think this is bug 44877, maybe we can/should merge it.
>> Here [1] is a patch (and testcase).
>> 
>> 
>> [1]  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/60442
>
> Indeed, it seems to be the same issue.
>
> However, the patch sets the value of `GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES`, which afaik is
> used by `grub-mkconfig` to produce `grub.cfg`, but there seems to be code in
> `grub.scm` that also produces `grub.cfg`, and no call to `grub-mkconfig`
> there. I'm not sure I understand how all this works anyway…

Guix indeed takes care to generate the grub.cfg itself, via the
make-grub-configuration procedure from (gnu bootloader grub), and
grub-mkconfig is *not* used.

grub-install is used though, so perhaps GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES could be
honored by it (although it's not documented so I doubt it).  It seems to
me that since we produce grub.cfg ourselves if there's something to add
there for LVM support (which I'm not sure there is -- apparently it
already works for you ?), it should be explicitly coded in (gnu
bootloader grub).

info '(grub) Changes from GRUB Legacy' mentions that "* GRUB 2 can read
files directly from LVM and RAID devices.", so I would think there's
nothing special to do?

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim