Subject: Re: [bug#62123] [PATCH 3/4] gnu: Add emacs-pippel.

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 09:51:54 +0100

Hello,

Rostislav Svoboda <[email-masked]> writes:

> Oh, the patch is broken, ignore it. sorry. Here's a correction.

Thanks. Some comments follow.

> Please have a look at the 'python2 vs. python3' comment. Is it OK to
> make it work just for python3?

Guix does not support Python 2 anymore. Note, however,
that you can provide `python-wrapper' as input instead of `python', and
use "python" executable. Anyway sticking to "python3" is OK.

> +      (inputs (list python))
> +      (propagated-inputs (list emacs-dash emacs-s))

Nitpick: usually, inputs and propagated inputs are located after arguments.

> +      (arguments
> +       (list #:phases #~(modify-phases %standard-phases

You can add a newline characther after `list' and another one after
`#:phases'.

> +                          (add-after 'unpack 'substitute-python-path
> +                            (lambda* (#:key inputs #:allow-other-keys)
> +                              (emacs-substitute-variables "pippel.el"
> +
> ("pippel-python-command"
> +                                                           (search-input-file
> +                                                            inputs
> +;;; For 'python2 vs. python3' see the choice:
> +;;; https://github.com/arifer612/pippel/blob/cb194952ee150e77601d3233dabdb521b976ee79/pippel.el#L65
> +
> "/bin/python3"))))))))
> +      (home-page "https://github.com/arifer612/pippel")
> +      (synopsis "Emacs frontend to Python package manager pip")

pip -> Pip

> +      (description
> +       "Emacs frontend for the Python package manager pip.  As pippel also uses
> +@code{tabulated-list-mode}, it provides a similar package menu like
> +@code{package-list-packages}.")

The first sentence is not complete : "Pippel is an Emacs…"

Also, pip -> Pip, pippel -> Pippel, @code{tabulated-list-mode} ->
Tabulated List mode.

> +      (license license:gpl3+))))

I think you also need to include "pippel.py" file through #:include
keyword and possibly configure `pippel-package-path'.

Regards,
-- 
Nicolas Goaziou