Subject: Re: bug#6212: 23.2; ^S^Q^@ --error--> Wrong type argument: characterp, 67108896

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 18:05:36 +0200

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 17:10, Trent W. Buck <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Attempting to insert a literal ^@ control character worked in 23.1.
> In 23.2, it results in an error: Wrong type argument: characterp,
> 67108896

`quoted-insert' is calling `read-quoted-char', which reads C-@ as the
character 0, but then does

  (lookup-key local-function-key-map (vector char))

`local-function-key-map' inherits from `function-key-map', which in
23.2 maps C-@ to C-SPC

  ;; Hitting C-SPC on text terminals, usually sends the ascii code 0 (aka C-@),
  ;; so we can't distinguish those two keys, but usually we consider C-SPC
  ;; (rather than C-@) as the "canonical" binding.
  (define-key function-key-map [?\C-@] [?\C-\s])

Presumably, by this change:

2009-10-19  Stefan Monnier  <[email-masked]>

	* bindings.el (function-key-map): Map C-@ to C-SPC if C-@ is unbound.

Stefan?

    Juanma