Subject: Re: [External] : Re: bug#62106: 29.0.60; Emacs 29 changing user option values (?)

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 11:09:47 +0100

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Drew,

>> `setopt' does not really help. Using `customize-save-variable' instead
>> of `customize-set-variable' does the trick.
>>
>> Pushed to the emacs-29 branch, closing the bug. Pls reply if it doesn't
>> work as expected.
>
> Thanks for working on this.  Without studying this at all, I'm
> guessing that `customize-save-variable' is the wrong thing to do.
> Doesn't that mean that you're not only changing a user-option value,
> but you're also doing so permanently (persistently)?  If so, isn't
> that even _worse_?

Oops, that's true.

> Wouldn't this be better - pseudo-saving, i.e., making Customize treat a changed option as if it were unchanged, _without_ saving it?
>
> (put SYMBOL 'saved-value
>             (list (custom-quote (default-value SYMBOL)))))

I've tested further, and it looks like `custom-set-variables' does
already what we want. So I've modifed my change in the emacs-29 branch
accordingly.

It would be great if you could counter test once the recent emacs-29
branch is on your laptop.

Best regards, Michael.