Subject: bug#62106: 29.0.60; Emacs 29 changing user option values (?)

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 22:16:34 +0000

Apologies for an incomplete bug report.  Feel free to close if not
helpful.

I downloaded the Windows binary posted today, with dependencies
included, and gave it a naive try using my setup.  Naturally I ran into
some problems.  But when I went to exit, my `kill-emacs-query-functions'
code that checks for changes to user option values (using function
`customize-unsaved') let me know that something had changed these option
values (I had not changed them):

connection-local-criteria-alist

Its value is

(((:application tramp)
  tramp-connection-local-default-system-profile tramp-connection-local-default-shell-profile))

Original value was nil

connection-local-profile-alist

The value is a long, complex Tramp alist.  Original value was nil.

So it looks like Tramp (?) might be messing with user-ooption values,
without resetting their state to tell Customize that they haven't been
changed since last saved.  This should be a no-no.

HTH.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2023-03-10
Repository revision: 6fe9075ff3814ce825c9869c901903edad9d0b44
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19044
Configured using:
 `configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation
 --without-compress-install --with-tree-sitter CFLAGS=-O2'