Subject: 30.0.50; find-dired, dired-goto-file and spaces

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 15:54:32 +0100

Hi,

I've found out that 'dired-goto-file' does not work with file name with
spaces in them.  It is only in buffers generated by 'find-dired' (it
works in a "normal" dired buffer).

How to reproduce:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
    emacs -Q --eval "(find-dired \"~\" \"-type f -name \\\"*.jpg\\\"\")"
    
    j a-file-name-without-space.jpg       ;; it jumps to the file
    j vacation 2022/we needed space.jpg   ;; it doesn't
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-openbsd7.2, cairo version
 1.17.8) of 2023-03-09 built on computer
Repository revision: 26740f30469c2b13765f986fa65eca8a3a851ba2
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101006
System Description: OpenBSD computer 7.2 GENERIC.MP#1052 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/manuel/emacs --bindir=/home/manuel/bin
 --with-x-toolkit=no --without-sound --without-compress-install
 CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-dired-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-0.10.0/theme-loaddefs hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/theme-loaddefs
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-0.3.7/transient hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow shortdoc pulse emacsbug smerge-mode diff flow-fill sort
gnus-cite mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize
uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml gnus-topic
mm-archive url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth qp utf-7 imap rfc2104
nndoc nndraft nnmh network-stream nsm nnfolder nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache nnrss org-indent
org-element org-persist org-id org-refile avl-tree oc-basic ol-eww
ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect ol-docview doc-view
jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi
org-link-doi reveal idlwave idlwave-help idlw-help conf-mode
emacs-news-mode view vc-hg pascal vc-dir ewoc sh-script executable vc
scheme semantic/bovine/grammar semantic/wisent/grammar semantic/bovine
semantic/grammar help-fns radix-tree semantic/idle semantic/analyze
semantic/sort semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn semantic/db
semantic/grammar-wy semantic/format semantic/tag-ls semantic/find
semantic/ctxt semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local
cedet css-mode treesit smie sgml-mode facemenu imenu eww xdg url-queue
mm-url mule-util autorevert filenotify vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher
vc-svn bug-reference paredit edmacro gnus-dired time battery exwm-randr
xcb-randr exwm-config ido exwm exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb
exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor xcb-render exwm-layout
exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto xcb-types
xcb-debug kmacro server modus-operandi-theme modus-themes ytdious mingus
libmpdee reporter edebug debug backtrace transmission color calc-bin
calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs supercite regi ebdb-message
ebdb-gnus gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls
dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7
nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util
mail-prsvr ebdb-mua ebdb-com crm ebdb-format ebdb mailabbrev eieio-opt
cl-extra help-mode speedbar ezimage dframe eieio-base pcase timezone org
ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp
ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys
oc org-loaddefs find-func org-version org-compat org-macs
visual-basic-mode cl web-mode derived disp-table erlang-start
smart-tabs-mode skeleton cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs slime-asdf grep slime-tramp
tramp rx tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration cus-edit cus-load
wid-edit files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601
time-date ls-lisp format-spec slime-fancy slime-indentation
slime-cl-indent cl-indent slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu
slime-package-fu slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree advice
slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge slime-macrostep macrostep
slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
slime-repl slime-parse slime apropos compile text-property-search etags
fileloop generator xref project arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline
icons pp comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt
slime-autoloads appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs dired-aux dired-x dired dired-loaddefs notifications dbus
xml repeat easy-mmode desktop frameset osm-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads
ebdb-autoloads compat-autoloads magit-autoloads debbugs-autoloads
git-commit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads ef-themes-autoloads
with-editor-autoloads paredit-autoloads dash-autoloads ytdious-autoloads
transmission-autoloads transient-autoloads exwm-autoloads
hyperbole-autoloads detached-autoloads info package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 981314 691303)
 (symbols 48 59840 4)
 (strings 32 290841 40053)
 (string-bytes 1 9016789)
 (vectors 16 178945)
 (vector-slots 8 3133349 75543)
 (floats 8 631 428)
 (intervals 56 20994 192)
 (buffers 984 130))

-- 
Manuel Giraud