Subject: bug#62092: closed (Re: bug#62092: 30.0.50; "case" does not work as dedenter in Python)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 13:19:02 +0000

Your bug report

#62092: 30.0.50; "case" does not work as dedenter in Python

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
62092: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=62092
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#62092: 30.0.50; "case" does not work as dedenter in Python
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: kobarity <[email-masked]>
Cc: Lele Gaifax <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 15:18:12 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 11/03/2023 04:08, kobarity wrote:

> The message "Closes case 1:" is shown.  It is shown to help
> distinguishing nested blocks, although it will not be useful if the
> case statements are same.
> 
> This is the same behavior as "if" blocks, etc.  The term "Closes" may
> not be the most appropriate for "case," but I don't think it is wrong.

Fair enough. I do think it's not ideal ("case" is not a "closer"), but 
neither is "else", for that matter. So the issue is not new.

And it can be useful, like you say, to distinguish nested blocks.

Pushed your change to emacs-29, and closing. Thanks!

Subject: 30.0.50; "case" does not work as dedenter in Python
From: kobarity <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Lele Gaifax <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 14:33:14 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

New keywords "match" and "case" were added to block-start in
`python-rx', which enables basic indentation support for these
keywords.  However, "case" does not work as a dedenter.  For example,
try the following code.

#+begin_src python
match a:
    case 1:
        print(1)
        case 2:
#+end_src

At the "case 2:" line, inputting ":" does not dedent the line.
Several TAB keys are needed for correct indentation.

Attached is a patch to make "case" a dedenter with an ERT.

--
In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw scroll bars) of 2023-03-10 built on ubuntu
Repository revision: 8ee205d232574e12921b052c7e93b7e16d6f1187
Repository branch: master
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP SOUND
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XPM
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Python

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils python json
subr-x map rx project pcase treesit cl-seq comint ansi-osc ring
cl-loaddefs cl-lib ansi-color term/screen term/xterm xterm byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 60054 7620)
 (symbols 48 7362 0)
 (strings 32 20143 1278)
 (string-bytes 1 593570)
 (vectors 16 11583)
 (vector-slots 8 139242 9455)
 (floats 8 30 11543)
 (intervals 56 239 0)
 (buffers 984 12))