Subject: Re: [bug#62062] [PATCH] guix: Strip #:use-module lists.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 10:40:42 +0100

Hi Simon,

Simon Tournier <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Thu, 09 Mar 2023 at 00:26, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> This was obtained by setting up this environment:
>>
>>   guix shell -D guix --with-input=[email-masked]=guile-next \
>>     --with-commit=guile-next=e2ed33ef0445c867fe56c247054aa67e834861f2
>>     -- make -j5
>>
>> then adding 'unused-module' to (@@ (guix build compiler) %warnings),
>> building, and checking all the "unused module" warnings and removing
>> those that were definitely unused.
>
> Out of curiosity, well, I have not understood how you proceeded. :-)
> Could you explain a bit more what you meant by:
>
>     then adding 'unused-module' to (@@ (guix build compiler) %warnings),
>
> Adding where?

To the ‘%warnings’ variable in (guix build compile).

> Do you mean this ’unused-module’ is now part of the guile-next?

It’s in Guile ‘main’ yes.

> Well, Guile e2ed33ef0445c867fe56c247054aa67e834861f2 is also about
> removing unused modules in Guile itself.

Right; see the preceding commit.  :-)

> Last minor comment, is it expected that there is nothing under
> ’gnu/packages’?

This is left as an exercise to the reader.  :-)

That is, one can do the same with gnu/packages/*.scm.  It can be quite
tedious though due to “false positives” (not exactly false positives,
but cases where the compiler cannot tell for sure whether a module
really is unused).

Ludo’.