Subject: bug#62052: closed (Re: bug#62052: _N_GNU_nonoption_argv_flags_ is no longer supported)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2023 14:41:02 +0000

Your bug report

#62052: _N_GNU_nonoption_argv_flags_ is no longer supported

which was filed against the grep package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
62052: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=62052
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#62052: _N_GNU_nonoption_argv_flags_ is no longer supported
From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
To: Emanuele Torre <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 06:39:47 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Wed, Mar 8, 2023 at 7:39 AM Emanuele Torre <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I have noticed the _N_GNU_nonoption_argv_flags_ (where N is the pid of
> grep) environment variable mentioned in the documentation. I tried to
> play with it, but it does not seem to work:
>
>  bash-5.1$ (declare -x _"$BASHPID"_GNU_nonoption_argv_flags_=1111111
>  > exec grep -e)
>  grep: option requires an argument -- 'e'
>  Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERNS [FILE]...
>  Try 'grep --help' for more information.
>
> I have checked gnulib's changelog and it looks like support for it has
> been removed in 2017, and before that it has not been enabled by default
> since 2001. (and, as far as I can tell, GNU grep never explicitly
> enabled it.)
>
> Furthermore, this environment variable used to be set this environment
> variable automatically by bash up to version 2.0, but since version 2.01
> (released in 1997) bash has stopped using it.
>
> I think, at this point, it would be best to not mention that environment
> variable in the documentation; it has not been used or even supported
> for a long time so it is just confusing.

Thank you for noticing and reporting that.
Done with the attached.

Subject: _N_GNU_nonoption_argv_flags_ is no longer supported
From: Emanuele Torre <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 17:40:59 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello.

I have noticed the _N_GNU_nonoption_argv_flags_ (where N is the pid of
grep) environment variable mentioned in the documentation. I tried to
play with it, but it does not seem to work:

 bash-5.1$ (declare -x _"$BASHPID"_GNU_nonoption_argv_flags_=1111111
 > exec grep -e)
 grep: option requires an argument -- 'e'
 Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERNS [FILE]...
 Try 'grep --help' for more information.

I have checked gnulib's changelog and it looks like support for it has
been removed in 2017, and before that it has not been enabled by default
since 2001. (and, as far as I can tell, GNU grep never explicitly
enabled it.)

Furthermore, this environment variable used to be set this environment
variable automatically by bash up to version 2.0, but since version 2.01
(released in 1997) bash has stopped using it.

I think, at this point, it would be best to not mention that environment
variable in the documentation; it has not been used or even supported
for a long time so it is just confusing.

Bye. :)
 emanuele6