Subject: bug#62045: 28.2; sed expression in install-etc does not work

From: Ulrich Müller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 08:53:07 +0100

The sed expressions in the install-etc make target don't match the
strings in the two desktop files for emacsclient.

For emacsclient-mail.desktop, this was broken since its inception;
for emacsclient.desktop, it is broken since commit cbf220bc31c0, where
the shell wrapper was added.

A trivial patch is included below. Should it be installed on emacs-29,
or on master?

----- 8< -----
>From b6365f386474132a16585c566675cda94f1226d3 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: =?UTF-8?q?Ulrich=20M=C3=BCller?= <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 08:25:49 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] Fix sed expression in install-etc make target

* Makefile.in (install-etc): Fix sed expression for emacsclient
desktop files.
---
 Makefile.in | 4 ++--
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Makefile.in b/Makefile.in
index 2fb7754d683..4f2f2f15c97 100644
--- a/Makefile.in
+++ b/Makefile.in
@@ -841,7 +841,7 @@ install-etc:
 	rm -f $${tmp}
 	tmp=etc/emacsclient.tmpdesktop; rm -f $${tmp}; \
 	client_name=`echo emacsclient | sed '$(TRANSFORM)'`${EXEEXT}; \
-	sed -e "/^Exec=emacsclient/ s|emacsclient|${bindir}/$${client_name}|" \
+	sed -e "/^Exec=/ s|emacsclient|${bindir}/$${client_name}|" \
 	  -e "/^Icon=emacs/ s/emacs/${EMACS_NAME}/" \
 	  $(USE_STARTUP_NOTIFICATION_SED_CMD) \
 	  ${srcdir}/etc/emacsclient.desktop > $${tmp}; \
@@ -855,7 +855,7 @@ install-etc:
 	rm -f $${tmp}
 	tmp=etc/emacsclient-mail.tmpdesktop; rm -f $${tmp}; \
 	client_name=`echo emacsclient | sed '$(TRANSFORM)'`${EXEEXT}; \
-	sed -e "/^Exec=emacsclient/ s|emacsclient|${bindir}/$${client_name}|" \
+	sed -e "/^Exec=/ s|emacsclient|${bindir}/$${client_name}|" \
 	  -e "/^Icon=emacs/ s/emacs/${EMACS_NAME}/" \
 	  ${srcdir}/etc/emacsclient-mail.desktop > $${tmp}; \
 	${INSTALL_DATA} $${tmp} "$(DESTDIR)${desktopdir}/$${client_name}-mail.desktop"; \
-- 
2.39.2