Subject: bug#62044: 30.0.50; ERC 5.5: Auto-reconnect is broken

From: xoddf2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2023 23:34:15 -0800

J.P. writes:

> [...]
>
> I've improved upon this further (v3 attached) by adding a housekeeping
> task to monitor the initial server process from creation. Such a move
> may be regrettable because it adds yet more complexity to the already
> dizzying auto-reconnect landscape. However, I couldn't find a suitable
> way to cover common process errors that aren't presented to the sentinel
> but still need to engage the reconnect logic.
>
> If this leads to a futile game of whack-a-mole, we'll obviously need to
> try a different approach. But if we do more-or-less build on what I've
> got so far, we'll definitely need to ensure it agrees with 27 and 28
> before spending serious energy on refinement and tests.
>
> Thanks.

Version 3 of the patch works, both with an otherwise unconfigured ERC
and with a full configuration connecting to my bouncer.

I used this setting in both cases:
(setq erc-server-reconnect-function 'erc-server-delayed-check-reconnect)

The first 2 versions did not work at all.

Thanks
-- 
xoddf2 | https://wlair.us.to/ | PGP: 20EB90D3