Subject: bug#62044: 30.0.50; ERC 5.5: Auto-reconnect is broken

From: xoddf2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 22:12:53 -0800

Even with the following settings:

(setq erc-server-auto-reconnect t
      erc-server-reconnect-timeout 10
      erc-server-reconnect-attempts t)

ERC does not reconnect to my ZNC bouncer after a network outage.  The
echo area reads "Connecting to example.net:6697..." and "Logging in as
`user'...", but ERC never actually reconnects, even after connectivity
is restored.  The mode line continues to read "(ERC: CLOSED Fly/--)".

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.36, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-03-07, unofficial emacs-snapshot
 build: http://emacs.secretsauce.net built on fatty
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101007
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd --with-native-compilation
 --with-pop=yes --with-tree-sitter
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd
 --with-native-compilation --with-pop=yes --with-tree-sitter
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-imagemagick --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs-snapshot-Vc6LHg/emacs-snapshot-20230307+emacs-28.2-164473-g4e8b50ec57b=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall -fno-omit-frame-pointer'
 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2
M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP
SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM
XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ERC

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-spelling-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  erc-log-mode: t
  erc-autoaway-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-ercn-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-hl-nicks-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-context hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-context
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-contrib hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-contrib
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-server hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-server
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-icalendar hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-icalendar
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-update hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-update
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-main hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-main
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-config hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-config
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-actions hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-actions
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-pkg hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-pkg
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-lists hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-lists
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-helpers hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-helpers
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-bookmarks hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-bookmarks
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-headers hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-headers
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-message hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-message
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-search hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-search
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-compose hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-compose
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-contacts hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-contacts
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-speedbar hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-speedbar
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-folders hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-folders
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-mark hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-mark
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-view hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-view
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-vars hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-vars
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-org hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-org
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-draft hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-draft
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-autoloads hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-autoloads
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-context hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-context
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-server hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-server
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-icalendar hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-icalendar
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-main hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-main
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-config hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-config
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-pkg hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-pkg
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-lists hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-lists
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-helpers hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-helpers
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-message hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-message
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-search hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-search
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-compose hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-compose
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-update hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-update
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-speedbar hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-speedbar
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-folders hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-folders
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-headers hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-headers
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-view hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-view
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-vars hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-vars
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-org hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-org
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-contrib hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-contrib
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-actions hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-actions
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-contacts hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-contacts
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-mark hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-mark
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-draft hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-draft
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-autoloads hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-autoloads
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/site-lisp/elpa/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-bookmarks hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/mu4e-1.8.14/mu4e-bookmarks
/home/xoddf2/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-bind-key hides /usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/use-package/use-package-bind-key
/home/xoddf2/.emacs.d/elpa/bind-key-20230203.2004/bind-key hides /usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/use-package/bind-key
/home/xoddf2/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-ensure hides /usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/use-package/use-package-ensure
/home/xoddf2/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-delight hides /usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/use-package/use-package-delight
/home/xoddf2/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-core hides /usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/use-package/use-package-core
/home/xoddf2/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-diminish hides /usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/use-package/use-package-diminish
/home/xoddf2/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-jump hides /usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/use-package/use-package-jump
/home/xoddf2/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package hides /usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/use-package/use-package
/home/xoddf2/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-lint hides /usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/use-package/use-package-lint

Features:
(shadow emacsbug cl-print help-fns radix-tree misearch multi-isearch
mule-util display-line-numbers znc advice cl smiley gnus-bcklg
gnus-async qp gnus-ml disp-table mailalias smtpmail textsec uni-scripts
idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check sort gnus-cite
mail-extr nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7 network-stream nsm gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum shr
pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader
gnus-util text-property-search mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr comp
comp-cstr warnings icons rx rcirc parse-time erc-spelling flyspell
ispell erc-log erc-autoaway ercn erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring
erc-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring erc-track
erc-netsplit dash erc-match erc-hl-nicks color erc-button erc-fill
erc-stamp wid-edit erc-goodies erc iso8601 time-date thingatpt pp
format-spec erc-backend erc-networks erc-common erc-compat erc-loaddefs
edmacro kmacro cl-extra help-mode use-package-bind-key bind-key
easy-mmode use-package-ensure use-package-core modus-operandi-theme
modus-vivendi-theme modus-themes finder-inf znc-autoloads ercn-autoloads
erc-hl-nicks-autoloads mu4e-alert-autoloads s-autoloads ht-autoloads
info dash-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1404652 266149)
 (symbols 48 29853 4)
 (strings 32 168672 35742)
 (string-bytes 1 3955639)
 (vectors 16 108362)
 (vector-slots 8 2328169 166965)
 (floats 8 496 169)
 (intervals 56 49583 4814)
 (buffers 984 45))

-- 
xoddf2 | https://wlair.us.to/ | PGP: 20EB90D3