Subject: Re: bug#62041: 30.0.50; RET bound to `comint-send-input` in C-mode buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2023 10:30:11 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 15:15:39 -0500
> 
> > gud-minor-mode is supposed to show the same Gud menu on the menu bar
> > as gud-mode, and is also supposed to support mouse clicking on the
> > fringe to set/unset breakpoints.
> 
> AFAICT the fringe handling is a separate issue because those bindings
> are only placed in the `gud-minor-mode-map`, so the inheritance from
> `gud-mode-map` doesn't affect those.
> 
> I just pushed a patch which introduces a new map to share the menu
> between the two keymaps so `gud-minor-mode-map` doesn't (need to)
> inherit from `gud-mode-map` any more.
> 
> This should fix the problem (which was also labeled bug#61162 and bug#61271).

Thanks.

However, the fix is incomplete AFAICT: the "pseudo-toolbar" which
gdb-mi.el should show on TTY frames was lost.  Please compare the
display in "M-x gdb" in a TTY session between emacs-29 and master: the
former shows a kind of "text-mode tool bar" on the menu-bar line when
you are in the GUD buffer, and also if you are in a source buffer when
a gdb-mi session is active.  These "pseudo-toolbar" buttons are useful
if you have a mouse on a TTY terminal: you can click on these
"buttons" , and they work like the real tool bar on GUI frames.  On
master, these buttons no longer appear.  Can we have them back,
please?  (I guess more than just the menu should be shared between
gud-mode-map and gud-minor-mode-map?)