Subject: bug#61271: closed (Re: bug#62041: 30.0.50; RET bound to `comint-send-input` in C-mode buffer)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 20:16:03 +0000

Your bug report

#62041: 30.0.50; gud makes source files un-editable

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
62041: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=62041
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#62041: 30.0.50; RET bound to `comint-send-input` in C-mode buffer
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 15:15:39 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> gud-minor-mode is supposed to show the same Gud menu on the menu bar
> as gud-mode, and is also supposed to support mouse clicking on the
> fringe to set/unset breakpoints.

AFAICT the fringe handling is a separate issue because those bindings
are only placed in the `gud-minor-mode-map`, so the inheritance from
`gud-mode-map` doesn't affect those.

I just pushed a patch which introduces a new map to share the menu
between the two keymaps so `gud-minor-mode-map` doesn't (need to)
inherit from `gud-mode-map` any more.

This should fix the problem (which was also labeled bug#61162 and bug#61271).

        Stefan

Subject: 30.0.50; gud makes source files un-editable
From: Dima Kogan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2023 12:07:22 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi. I'm using a bleeding edge build of emacs from git. This issue is
recent: probably a few weeks old at most. Recipe:

1. Create any debuggable C program. For instance I just made a
   tst.c:

     int main(int argc, char* argv[])
     {
         return 0;
     }

   And I built it like this:

     gcc -g -o tst tst.c

2. emacs -Q tst.c

3. M-x gud-gdb ... gdb --fullname tst

4. b main

5. r

   We're now debugging the executable tst, and we're at a breakpoint in
   tst.c. emacs should show the breakpoint in the tst.c buffer

6. Switch to the tst.c buffer

7. Press RET

tst.c is a source buffer. "RET" should insert a newline. Instead emacs
throws an error

  comint-send-input: Current buffer has no process

Pressing f1-b I see that tst.c is in gud-minor-mode (although this
doesn't show up in f1-m for some reason). This mode defines the RET
binding, and is the source of this problem.

Thanks