Subject: Re: bug#62027: Subject: 29.0.60; Breaking change in forward-sentence/backward-sentence

From: Daniel Martín <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 12:03:45 +0100

Manuel Giraud via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of
text editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Simen Heggestøyl <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> Or could perhaps the change in return values from
>> `forward-sentence'/`backward-sentence' be reverted to old behavior, and
>> the counting logic be left to `count-sentences' instead?
>
> Hi Simen,
>
> Yes maybe I could change `count-sentences' a bit to do this.  What
> others think of such a change?

I'm all for reverting to the traditional return values of the sentence
commands, specially if they don't complicate the new command much.  The
return value was not documented, but Hyrum's Law
(https://www.hyrumslaw.com/) tells us that there is an unknown amount of
code out there that depends on the traditional return value, anyway.