Subject: bug#62018: closed (Re: bug#62018: 30.0.50; (require 'dbus) hangs in batch mode when called through execute-kbd-macro)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 18:49:02 +0000

Your bug report

#62018: 30.0.50; (require 'dbus) hangs in batch mode when called through execute-kbd-macro

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
62018: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=62018
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#62018: 30.0.50; (require 'dbus) hangs in batch mode when called through execute-kbd-macro
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 20:48:11 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 30.1

Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Spencer,

>>> 1. emacs --batch --eval '(execute-kbd-macro (read-kbd-macro "M-:
>>> (require SPC (quote SPC dbus)) RET"))'
>>> 2. Observe that it hangs forever.
>>>
>>> Note that this doesn't need to be direct; running any command through
>>> execute-kbd-macro which eventually loads dbus will hang indefinitely.
>>> (battery), for example.
>>
>> Thanks for the report, I've pushed a fix to master. Could you, please, check?
>
> That change fixes my minimal reproducer (sent in the initial email) and
> also fixes my larger test framework based on execute-kbd-macro.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm closing the bug.

Thank you!

Subject: 30.0.50; (require 'dbus) hangs in batch mode when called through execute-kbd-macro
From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 18:45:35 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. emacs --batch --eval '(execute-kbd-macro (read-kbd-macro "M-:
(require SPC (quote SPC dbus)) RET"))'
2. Observe that it hangs forever.

Note that this doesn't need to be direct; running any command through
execute-kbd-macro which eventually loads dbus will hang indefinitely.
(battery), for example.

This may seem like an odd thing to do, but I use execute-kbd-macro to
run tests for keybindings in my Emacs packages.

This issue appears to also happen on Emacs 28 and Emacs 27.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.22.30, cairo version 1.15.12) of 2023-02-27 built on igm-qws-u22796a
Repository revision: af94369f90a5d3ad44dcc80d205665ccb2d41995
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: CentOS Linux 7 (Core)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-gif=ifavailable'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 45855 9960)
 (symbols 48 7444 0)
 (strings 32 17715 2032)
 (string-bytes 1 502705)
 (vectors 16 9297)
 (vector-slots 8 147891 12010)
 (floats 8 31 19)
 (intervals 56 211 0)
 (buffers 976 10)
 (heap 1024 17345 1168))