Subject: bug#62002: 28.2; intermittent crash on scroll (arch + spacemacs)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 20:14:58 +0000

> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz <at> gnu.org>
> Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 18:44:42 +0200
>
> Yes, please compile Emacs with debug symbols, since the backtrace you
> show only provides symbolic information inside Cairo, and says nothing
> about where in Emacs did it crash.

> If you can, please try building the emacs-29 branch of the Emacs Git
> repository, since Emacs 28 will not see anymore releases, and maybe
> this problem was already fixed during later development.

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

I have downloaded and compiled 1e5393a57a3bbe3f9167fee59232c2e424afadf2 with
debug symbols (I think, [1]) but have not yet been able to replicate the issue.
Since I also cannot reliably replicate on 28.2, this is unfortunate but not
surprising.

All I can add to my earlier description is that when the crash happens, it
invariably happens early- more or less as soon as a buffer is scrolled with PgDn.

I will continue to try to elucidate this crash and will update this bug if and
when I have more information.

Thanks again,
bertieb

----

[1]: Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-modules --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt --without-gconf
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs --enable-check-lisp-object-type
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' --with-native-compilation=yes --with-xinput2
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --without-xaw3d --with-sound=no
 --with-tree-sitter --without-gpm --without-compress-install
 '--program-transform-name=s/\([ec]tags\)/\1.emacs/'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'