Subject: [PATCH 1/2] home: services: xdg-base-directories: Set correct value for XDG_STATE_HOME.

From: Bruno Victal <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 15:19:13 +0000

XDG Base Directory Specification 0.8 officially introduces the
XDG_STATE_HOME environment variable.

Fixes <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/61809>.

* gnu/home/services/xdg.scm
(home-xdg-base-directories-configuration)[state-home]: Set default value according to spec.
Update field documentation.
(home-xdg-base-directories-service-type): Update service description.
---
 gnu/home/services/xdg.scm | 22 +++++++++++-----------
 1 file changed, 11 insertions(+), 11 deletions(-)

diff --git a/gnu/home/services/xdg.scm b/gnu/home/services/xdg.scm
index 3007493f85..ac557b4c3d 100644
--- a/gnu/home/services/xdg.scm
+++ b/gnu/home/services/xdg.scm
@@ -104,11 +104,11 @@ (define-configuration home-xdg-base-directories-configuration
 Specification, but helps to make implementation of home services more
 consistent.")
   (state-home
-   (path "$HOME/.local/var/lib")
-   "Base directory for programs to store state files, like databases,
-analogus to @file{/var/lib}, but for user.  It is not a part of XDG
-Base Directory Specification, but helps to make implementation of home
-services more consistent."))
+   (path "$HOME/.local/state")
+   "Base directory for programs to store state data that should persist
+between (application) restarts, such as logs, but are not important or
+portable enough to the user to warrant storing them in
+@env{XDG_DATA_HOME}."))
 
 (define (home-xdg-base-directories-environment-variables-service config)
   (map
@@ -158,12 +158,12 @@ (define home-xdg-base-directories-service-type
                 (compose identity)
                 (extend last-extension-or-cfg)
                 (description "Configure XDG base directories.  This
-service introduces two additional variables @env{XDG_STATE_HOME},
-@env{XDG_LOG_HOME}.  They are not a part of XDG specification, at
-least yet, but are convenient to have, it improves the consistency
-between different home services.  The services of this service-type is
-instantiated by default, to provide non-default value, extend the
-service-type (using @code{simple-service} for example).")))
+service introduces an additional @env{XDG_LOG_HOME} variable.  It's not
+a part of XDG specification, at least yet, but are convenient to have,
+it improves the consistency between different home services.  The
+services of this service-type is instantiated by default, to provide
+non-default value, extend the service-type (using @code{simple-service}
+for example).")))
 
 (define (generate-home-xdg-base-directories-documentation)
   (generate-documentation

base-commit: d92ec2f2812c76b23aab778e26708cf353542ae9
-- 
2.39.1