Subject: Re: bug#61962: 30.0.50; New trouble with symbols with positions

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 18:39:05 +0000

Hello, Michael.

On Sun, Mar 05, 2023 at 17:04:12 +0100, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]> writes:

> > That would very likely be fcf2f7aead.

> When this issue is not easy to fix, ....

I will look into this in the next day or two.

> .... maybe consider to revert that commit for now (inexact compiler
> warning positions are less problematic than breaking Elisp code).

I disagree with your concept here.  Warning positions are not accurate
or inaccurate (they cannot be +- 2%, for example), they are either
correct or they are wrong.  A lot of effort was put into making them
correct, although it is clear from this bug that that project is as yet
incomplete.

Please don't revert that commit from 2023-02-17.  I will look into this
and try to fix the bug properly.

> Michael.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).