Subject: 28.2; uninterruptible hang in vc-diff buffer

From: Tom Tromey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 11:13:27 -0700

>From *vc-outgoing*, I used '=' to see a diff.

The diff in question is pretty large.

Emacs showed this in the echo area:

Finding changes in ....

This was not interruptible -- I tried C-g, C-], and 'kill -USR1'

I don't know exactly what this is doing, but whatever it is should be
interruptible.

Tom

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.35, cairo version 1.17.6)
 of 2022-12-31 built on buildvm-x86-18.iad2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201007
System Description: Fedora Linux 36 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-gpm=no
 --with-xwidgets --with-modules --with-harfbuzz --with-cairo --with-json
 --with-native-compilation build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2
 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XDBE XIM XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Git-Log-View

Minor modes in effect:
  vc-parent-buffer: *vc-dir*<gcc>
  bug-reference-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-spelling-mode: t
  erc-truncate-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-notify-mode: t
  erc-notifications-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-hl-nicks-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug f90 descr-text reposition asm-mode gnus-draft rust-mode
arc-mode archive-mode js edmacro pcmpl-unix pcmpl-gnu conf-mode
compare-w gnus-icalendar org-capture org-refile icalendar webjump
sh-script smie executable rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml
rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util
rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode facemenu
nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok term ehelp nroff-mode cmake-mode rst autoconf
autoconf-mode texinfo texinfo-loaddefs pulse ada-light-mode eglot array
jsonrpc ert flymake-proc flymake vc-annotate cus-edit cus-start url-http
url-gw url-auth python tramp-sh pcase autoload lisp-mnt gud mule-util
debug backtrace kmacro two-column dwarf-mode tabify man tcl make-mode
cl-print shortdoc goto-addr log-edit yaml-mode log-view pcvs-util
find-dired copyright ffap grep find-file ggtags etags fileloop xref
project compile bug-reference cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
supercite regi bbdb-message mailalias mail-hist term/xterm xterm
smerge-mode diff dabbrev gnus-html help-fns radix-tree url-cache
flow-fill erc-imenu erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring erc-pcomplete
erc-netsplit erc-spelling erc-truncate shr-color mm-archive sort smiley
gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-bcklg gnus-async qp gnus-ml disp-table misearch
multi-isearch vc-mtn vc-hg vc-git diff-mode vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn
vc-cvs vc-rcs org-element avl-tree generator ol-eww eww xdg url-queue
mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search
eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe ol-docview doc-view jka-compr
image-mode exif ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic
bibtex ol org-keys oc org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs gnus-topic
nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7 bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm gnutls
network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp
gnus-cache gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo smtpmail
sendmail gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7
netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
text-property-search mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr add-log
display-fill-column-indicator flyspell ispell diminish appt diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete
parse-time ls-lisp which-func imenu autorevert filenotify desktop
frameset cus-load git-link erc-track erc-notify
erc-desktop-notifications erc-match erc-services erc-networks
notifications dbus erc-hl-nicks color erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp
wid-edit erc-goodies erc erc-backend iso8601 thingatpt pp format-spec
erc-loaddefs dired-aux dired-x dired dired-loaddefs time-date advice
vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher flycheck find-func dash cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs bbdb comp comp-cstr warnings rx cl-extra
help-mode bbdb-site timezone ange-ftp comint ansi-color ring server
savehist finder-inf clang-rename clang-include-fixer let-alist
clang-format xml info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 5826176 675973)
 (symbols 48 118086 157)
 (strings 32 663988 63985)
 (string-bytes 1 24860746)
 (vectors 16 247905)
 (vector-slots 8 5951617 919156)
 (floats 8 621 871)
 (intervals 56 1006709 5268)
 (buffers 992 1662))