Subject: Re: bug#61936: Wish list: Tree-sitter support for GAP

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 23:03:47 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > GAP is a computer algebra system (CAS) used in various areas of math.

Is GAP free software?  That affects the moral/political question of
how much support for GAP we should include in Emacs (or any of our
software).

If GAP is free software then we would like to support it, unless
that causes a practical difficulty (it probably won't).

If it is nonfree, in principle we would rather not even mention its
existence.  But we can compromise in certain cases.  If it is already
quite well known, we can support it and say we support it, but keep in
mind that the goal of supporting is to encourage GAP users to use
Emacs while NOT encouraging Emacs users to use GAP.

If GAP is only somewhat well known, we can support it in the same way,
but we should not mention very much that we do support it.  We don't
want to publicize it!

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)