Subject: Re: bug#6192: 24.0.50; eldoc-mode: unexpected recentering

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 20:14:53 +0300

> Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 10:18:00 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
>  >>  >> Do you see a change if you customize resize-mini-windows to t?
>  >>  >
>  >>  > No, the echo area still expands to two lines.
>  >>
>  >> "A value of t means resize them to fit the text displayed in them."  Not
>  >> very different from grow-only in the case at hand ;-)
>  >
>  > It's very different in how Emacs shrinks them back.
> 
> So far Stephen was concerned with the expanding step only.  But any
> difference between `grow-only' and t should have an impact iff the
> height of the minibuffer changes from some value `old' to some value
> `new' where 1 < new < old.  IIUC `eldoc-mode' never shrinks the echo
> area back to some value > 1.

At the time I asked that question, I thought that perhaps some
previous message enlarged the echo area, only to be replaced quickly
by the shorter message that Stephen was reporting.