Subject: bug#6192: 24.0.50; eldoc-mode: unexpected recentering

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 23:54:37 +0200

On Sat, 15 May 2010 21:02:14 +0200 martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Did you also have eldoc-mode enabled in your .emacs file (I only get the
>> two line echo area in that case)?
>
> I always had - how else can you do it?  

Of course; so can you confirm that you do not see the resizing with -Q
and then enabling eldoc mode?

>                                         But the problems only started
> after the series of changes following the release of Emacs 22.  I was
> mainly annoyed by the continuous resizing of the echo area, especially
> when eldoc tries to analyze doc-strings or comments.  So I first wrote
> some workaround until I found out that customizing the faces suffices.
>
> Meanwhile I show eldoc-strings either in the header-line, a separate
> window, or in a tooltip - but none of them work satisfactorily :-(
>
> Anyway: The recentering is a misbehavior which should not occur.  Does
> Emacs restore the old situation when the echo area sizes back?

I'm not sure what you mean by "old situation"; if you mean does the
recentered line revert to the penultimate line, then no, there is no
change when the echo area returns to one line.

Steve Berman