Subject: Re: bug#6192: 24.0.50; eldoc-mode: unexpected recentering

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 23:54:17 +0200

On Sat, 15 May 2010 20:33:20 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 19:25:52 +0200
>> 
>> > No, that cannot be it.  The properties should be completely evaluated
>> > and converted to appropriate faces, by the time the message is
>> > displayed.  What gets displayed is just "let: (VARLIST BODY...)", and
>> > unless you have some strange fonts installed, I don't see how this can
>> > require more than one line of the echo area.
>> 
>> It's the bold face, as Martin observed; see my followup to his reply.
>
> If it's the bold face, then I see no bug here.

Surely there's some bug (though maybe not in Emacs) if the behavior
differs between platforms, no?

> Do you see a change if you customize resize-mini-windows to t?

No, the echo area still expands to two lines.

>> Yes, why does bold face do it
>
> Maybe it has some character that is too large for a single line?

I don't think so: when I start Emacs with -Q (i.e. no eldoc-mode) and in
*scratch* eval this sexp:

(message (propertize "BODY" 'face 'bold))

then I see the string "BODY" in bold face in the echo area, i.e. the
same bold string as in the Eldoc message -- but now the echo area stays
at a height of one line.

>> (and again, why only when eldoc-mode is enabled in .emacs)?
>
> No clue.

Pity.

Steve Berman