Subject: Re: bug#6192: 24.0.50; eldoc-mode: unexpected recentering

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 19:26:05 +0200

On Sat, 15 May 2010 18:53:01 +0200 martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> I don't know, but I stepped through eldoc.el with Edebug and when it got
>> to the point where the message is put into the echo area, this is what
>> it showed:
>>
>> Result: #("let: (VARLIST BODY...)" 0 3 (face font-lock-function-name-face) 14 21 (face eldoc-highlight-function-argument))
>>
>> This string made the echo area expand to two lines, but in normal
>> (non-edebug) execution it of course shows up just as "let: (VARLIST
>> BODY...)" (with fontification).  So if the propertized string is the
>> source of the expanded echo area, the question becomes why it does not
>> shrink again.  (And there's still the question of why this only happens
>> when eldoc-mode is enabled in my init file...)
>
> I had some problem with eldoc-mode after the latest greater bunch of
> changes.  There was some bold face that caused my echo area occupy two
> lines occasionally.  IIRC customizing `eldoc-highlight-function-argument'
> and/or `eldoc-highlight-unsupplied-argument' to something non-bold
> solved the problem for me.

You're right: I changed eldoc-highlight-function-argument to italic and
the recentering stopped.

Did you also have eldoc-mode enabled in your .emacs file (I only get the
two line echo area in that case)?

Steve Berman