Subject: bug#6192: 24.0.50; eldoc-mode: unexpected recentering

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 18:53:01 +0200

> I don't know, but I stepped through eldoc.el with Edebug and when it got
 > to the point where the message is put into the echo area, this is what
 > it showed:
 >
 > Result: #("let: (VARLIST BODY...)" 0 3 (face font-lock-function-name-face) 14 21 (face eldoc-highlight-function-argument))
 >
 > This string made the echo area expand to two lines, but in normal
 > (non-edebug) execution it of course shows up just as "let: (VARLIST
 > BODY...)" (with fontification).  So if the propertized string is the
 > source of the expanded echo area, the question becomes why it does not
 > shrink again.  (And there's still the question of why this only happens
 > when eldoc-mode is enabled in my init file...)

I had some problem with eldoc-mode after the latest greater bunch of
changes.  There was some bold face that caused my echo area occupy two
lines occasionally.  IIRC customizing `eldoc-highlight-function-argument'
and/or `eldoc-highlight-unsupplied-argument' to something non-bold
solved the problem for me.

martin