Subject: bug#6192: 24.0.50; eldoc-mode: unexpected recentering

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 20:49:09 +0200

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 8:30 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> Would it be possible to try 1 line scrolling first, then 2 etc?
>
> Maybe we could, but that would be slow, I think.  Don't forget that
> there could be more than one window affected by resizing.  And since
> redisplay in general works on each window independently, tieing
> together redispay of the echo area and the windows above the mode line
> would be a complication.  Is it really worth that?

Maybe not. Here is another suggestion:

- We could by default show messages truncated. Then we could have a an
idle timer that after maybe 2 second showed the message wrapped.

That would stop the annoying jumping caused by messages we still do
not have a chance to see in the echo area because they are overwritten
by later message (often leaving the lower line blank in the echo
area).

> Also, note that scrolling only by the minimum amount will cause
> annoying jumpy display if some command repeatedly displays messages of
> different length in the echo area.

The above suggestion would take care of that too.

> Recentering once avoids that to a
> large degree, because it more often than not will scroll just once.

Recentering go away! ;-)

> In general, my advice to people who are annoyed by recentering to set
> resize-mini-windows to nil (among other things).

Maybe that is enough, but it could be combined with my suggestion above.

> But if someone wants to work on a redisplay optimization that would
> favor such scrolling, feel free.