Subject: bug#6192: 24.0.50; eldoc-mode: unexpected recentering

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 11:47:04 +0200

On Mon, 17 May 2010 11:06:02 +0200 martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> I still have no idea why there's the .emacs/-Q asymmetry.
>
> Maybe the effect of loading .emacs vs running Emacs with -Q?  Did you
> ever try with a .emacs containing something unrelated and/or putting
> the (add-hook ...) in the command invoking Emacs?

It turns out that there is no .emacs/-Q asymmetry.  As I reported in my
previous post, I found out that the resizing only happens with (at
least) three monospaced fonts on my system, including "my default font"
DejaVu Sans Mono.  What I meant is that this is the font I standardly
use when running Emacs, which I set in my init file.  But when I start
with -Q, Emacs uses the font Andale Mono, which is similar enough to
DejaVu Sans Mono that I (not having the sharpest eyesight) neglected to
take that difference into account.  I did so now, starting Emacs with
-Q, changing the font (via the Options menu item Set Default Font) to
DejaVu Sans Mono, visiting abbrev.el, enabling Eldoc mode (via M-x
eldoc-mode), scrolled to the bottom, typed M-v, and observed the echo
area resize when it displayed the Eldoc message (and point was
recentered).

Moreover, as I also mentioned previously, this is independent of Eldoc
mode, since evalling (message (propertize "test" 'face 'bold)) in
*scratch* (with eldoc-mode not enabled) also induces echo area resizing
(with the problematic font).

In short, this bug now boils down to this: the echo area resizes with
certain fonts (including DejaVu Sans Mono) when it displays a message
that includes bold face.  Whether this is a bug in Emacs or the
problematic fonts, I don't know.

Do you (or Eli or some other Windows user) have DejaVu Sans Mono, and if
so, do you see the resizing when you use it?

Steve Berman