Subject: bug#61914: IceCat does not start with en_GB.utf8 locale

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 09:48:42 -0500

Hi Timo,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> Browsing about:config, I see:
>>
>> extensions.systemAddon.update.enabled	false
>>
>> I wonder if this could make a different to be set to true instead.  It's
>> set to false by the makeicecat.sh script we run to transform the Firefox
>> source into GNU IceCat.  I guess we'll have to look at the source for
>> more clues as to how language pack updates are handled exactly.
>
> I have the same problem, where the French language pack I used with a
> previous version of IceCat (102.7.0) is not updating to the
> system-provided one.  Setting 'extensions.systemAddon.update.enabled' to
> 'true' does not help.
>
> I've now reported the issue upstream:
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1820196.

Trying to reproduce the above, I'm not sure if I still can!  One
hypothesis, is that perhaps I had installed the french language pack
(the .xpi file produced by Guix) manually while testing.  I also
remember testing other languages, such as with LC_ALL=es_ES.utf8, and I
don't see the problem where that one "stuck".  It could be because I
hadn't tried with an older version, but not having a clear reproducers
make things muddy.

Could it be that you had previously installed the language packs
manually?

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim