Subject: Re: bug#61914: IceCat does not start with en_GB.utf8 locale

From: Timo Wilken <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 17:37:23 +0100

Hi Maxim,

Thanks for your reply!

What finally worked for me was the following:

$ sed -i.bak 's|/gnu/store/hhfcn8viysyz2qz9rvvqkj91i5nxzd9s|/gnu/store/bwcrfgfrri9bpglgb5raih167jaxibkv|g' \
      ~/.mozilla/icecat/vfc41hol.default/extensions.json \
      ~/.mozilla/icecat/vfc41hol.default/addonStartup.json.lz4

After running that, IceCat suddenly worked fine.

No directory starting with /gnu/store/hhfcn8viysyz2qz9rvvqkj91i5nxzd9s
exists on my system.

I guess that means the "guix gc" I did yesterday is to blame!

There were lots of entries like the following in my extensions.json:

"rootURI":"jar:file:///gnu/store/hhfcn8viysyz2qz9rvvqkj91i5nxzd9s-icecat-102.8.0-guix0-preview1/lib/icecat/browser/extensions/[email-masked]!/",

...and then when guix gc deleted an old IceCat directory, these files
were gone.

Is there some way of forcing IceCat not to embed the /gnu/store path
in the user's profile at runtime?

On Thu Mar 2, 2023 at 3:54 PM CET, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
> Could you try running with a fresh profile?  E.g., 'icecat
> --ProfileManager', create a new profile, and start it from there?

This works, as does using icecat --safe-mode (which presumably avoids
loading all extensions and language packs). The new profile has the
right /gnu/store paths embedded in extensions.json (i.e. those
pointing to the "current" IceCat). I suppose this will blow up as well
on the next guix gc...

> It should work.  I suspect the problem may be caused by
> 'intl.locale.requested' being set to something.  It needs to be unset
> for the system locale to be honored, so if that's the problem with your
> current profile, you could try clearing it by visiting "about:config" in
> the URL bar.

This setting was already cleared.

Cheers,
Timo