Subject: Re: bug#61911: error: mate-polkit: unbound variable

From: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2023 15:36:08 +0100

Hi Maxime,

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> writes:

> In unknown file:
>             3 (primitive-load-path "gnu/packages/xfce" #<procedure 7f?>)
> In gnu/packages/xfce.scm:
>    1156:19  2 (_)
> In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
>    1685:16  1 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)
>    1685:16  0 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)
>
> ice-9/boot-9.scm:1685:16: In procedure raise-exception:
> error: mate-polkit: unbound variable

This is the same kind of issue as [1]: both xfce and mate require each
other (the second through mate -> freedesktop -> kde-frameworks ->
kde-plasma -> display-managers -> xfce), and depending on the order in
which they're loaded, mate-polkit-for-xfce might get defined before
mate-polkit is.  The solution I suggested there was to define the
variant in the same file as the original package, but here I'm not sure
if this is the right call.

In general, I'd much rather try to get rid of those pesky module cycles,
as they cause general headaches for guix pull.  I remember Julien
using (guix modules) to do some analysis at the Guix days, maybe we
could get some pointers on how to handle this specific situation?

WDYT?

[1] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/61885
   (mid: [email-masked])

-- 
Josselin Poiret