Subject: Re: bug#61910: [PATCH] git-download: Download a bare Git repository from SWH.

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2023 18:42:48 +0100

Hi,

Follow up after discussing on #swh-devel. :-)

On jeu., 02 mars 2023 at 14:50, Simon Tournier <[email-masked]> wrote:

> So the question is how to know which files require CRLF and which not?
>
> From my understanding, this information is provided by:
>
> $ cat hidapi.guix/.gitattributes
> * text=auto
>
> *.sln text eol=crlf
> *.vcproj text eol=crlf
>
> bootstrap text eol=lf
> configure.ac text eol=lf

Yeah, we could parse this file.  It is not that hard but I am not so
much interested right now for implementing such.

> As zack pointed yesterday, well that what I understood or
> misunderstood, it is related to "smudge" filters [1].

No, it is not “smudge”.  These attributes are much simpler than
smudge/clean filters – well they are scary!

> Kidding aside, I agree that relying on Guile-Git would mean being less
> "fragile".  Hum, somehow this asks about the size of the binary seed
> for bootstrapping.

After some quick look, Guile-Git provides some plumbing and here it is
more about porcelain.  Well, I do not know how it could be implemented
with Guile-Git.

> About low-level 'git' command, maybe the same could be achieved
> without "git init" + "git add" + "git commit".  Well, my gitology is
> not enough skilled. :-)

Asking on #swh-devel, vlorentz confirmed using something similar.
Quoting: « I looked at git's normalization-related test cases; but they
all use git-add »

Therefore, I guess that’s probably the best tradeoff for now.

Well, I am going to run more tests.

Cheers,
simon