Subject: Re: bug#61894: [PATCH RFC] Team approval for patches

From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 15:38:23 -0800

On 2023-03-08, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
> On a side note, it would also introduce some kind of hierarchy in the
> group, which I dislike.  One of the things that make Guix special is
> that it's pretty flat -- everybody can participate at the same level, at
> least between committers).  I'd rather we don't try to emulate Debian on
> that point.

I have been watching this thread with great curiosity for exactly this
reason!

One of the things I like about Guix, coming from a couple decades of
involvement with Debian, is the lack of package "ownership" ... in
Debian, any Debian Developer with upload rights can technically upload
any package, but it is considered inappropriate to do so without
following various processes. Over the years, ways to opt-in to
streamlined processes now exist, but the norm is still very much package
"ownership".

Guix is starting from a much more flexible model, but struggling with
challenges of scale ... a small number of people maintaining a huge
number of packages.

I am a bit concerned that formalizing this much process for teams just
yet...

There is not much granularity of team scope and responsibilities. The
current teams implementation seems to involve claiming one or more
gnu/packages/*.scm files (or other files)... but not individual packages
or groups of packages within one of those. It seems quite rough around
the edges and I am concerned about how it will play out to further
formalize the process.

I almost wonder if it wouldn't be good to spell out what exactly is
desired to be accomplished by having teams? Maybe much of that
conversation has already happened, but ... spelling it out first, and
then trying to come up with implementation details that attempt to fit
the goals?

I have a hunch that this dish might benefit from a bit more seasoning. I
am not sure exactly which herbs and spices to reach for, or how long to
leave it simmering on the stove... but I know people are getting hungry!

live well,
  vagrant