Subject: [bug#61894] [PATCH RFC] Team approval for patches

From: Felix Lechner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 11:21:53 -0800

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 1, 2023 at 9:31 AM Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I'm unclear how it would
> impact the things I push for others. I pushed some patches today, would
> this mean that I'd have to look at what team/teams are involved
> (according to /etc/teams.scm.in) for each commit/series, and then either
> continue if I'm a member of that team, or skip it if I'm not?

Perhaps a compromise would be to ask committers to get a second
opinion from another committer whenever they feel it is necessary.

A committer who is confident enough, however, would be encouraged to
sidestep the restriction.

This guidance would gently bump the perceived penalty for a misstep,
because ignorance was then part of the mix when an error occurred.

The second person will often be from an affected team, but sometimes
they won't. That would only need to be revisited when there was a
problem. Otherwise, it was water under the bridge.

A softer guidance would also allow the project to experiment gradually
with greater checks and balances.

After some time, the committers would be able to weigh—both
individually as well as collectively—whether the additional rules
actually provided the benefits they were designed to produce.

Kind regards
Felix Lechner