Subject: Re: bug#61881: Failed install with 1.4.0 installer-dump-2464c73a

From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 16:09:44 -0800

On 2023-03-01, Josselin Poiret wrote:
> Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]> writes:
>> Tried the guix installer 1.4.0, and it seemed to be going smoothly,
>> downloading substitutes... but eventually timed out waiting for
>> substitutes...
>>
>> The "Resume" option for the install dropped me back to selecting locale,
>> keyboard, substitutes, root password, user, etc. without actually
>> seeming to resume anything, and even re-downloaded all the same
>> substitutes, apparently.
>>
>> When it failed, it obscured the error messages, although apparently they
>> are also logged on tty12 (is there a log file somewhere?)
...
> I can't find the installer dump on dump.guix.gnu.org unfortunately
> :(.

It is possible I typoed it somehow, as I filed the report on another
machine and eyeballed the name...

> Can you look into directories like /tmp/dump.XXXXX? There should be
> a .tar.gz somewhere of the dump.

No, that was probably lost when I powered it down. If the dump was
stored on the to-be-installed-filesystem somewhere, there might be a
chance to recover it?

I had assumed when it said it uploaded the installer dump that it had
done so successfully...  (maybe a way to more easily confirm success or
failure of the dump upload might be worth implementing?)

> Things that drop you back to selecting locale seem like the whole
> installer crashing rather than just the resume option working. In
> general, we have some issues with handling `guix system init` problems
> in the installer.

Ah well, I will try again with that installer and/or the "latest"
installer ... and if I still have similar issues will report back
... and will be more determined to capture any relevent dump files!

If I feel adventurous, I might even try on the new laptop itself. :)

Thanks for the quick response!

live well,
  vagrant