Subject: Re: Patch

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 11:37:05 +0100

Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> writes:

> Am Fri, Apr 14, 2023 at 09:20:03AM +0100 schrieb Christopher Baines:
>> I haven't tried this yet, but I've had a quick look. I'm not sure
>> search-patches will work where it is, since that'll be running in the
>> build environment, without any access to the patches in the Guix git
>> repository.
>
> Good point. But is this not exactly like your previous commit, which
> I understood you had tested? But you are right:
>    https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/909454/log/raw
> error: in phase 'patch-powerpc': uncaught exception:
> unbound-variable #f "Unbound variable: ~S" (search-patch) #f 
> phase `patch-powerpc' failed after 0.0 seconds
> I will revert (the good news: it indeed did not break any other
> architecture).
>
> If we do not have access to the patch during build, we would need to
> replace it by an invocation of substitute*, with a lot of escaping of
> special characters like line ends, which would be annoying to test
> (well, one could test on x86_64 on a dummy package with the same source
> as gcc-11).

The changes I muddled together differed in that the search-patches bit
was ungexp'ed, so the patch file was handled through that mechanism. The
other important change is the actual patch itself differed as well (ec
needs moving up a bit).

I've made those changes to the commit you pushed earlier and pushed to
core-updates now.